Hurray! It’s officially summer-time!
Now I love sunny and healthy weather as much as the next gal, but sometimes it’s tough to look marvelous out in the heat and humidity. The last thing most us girls want to do is spend time applying makeup or doing our hair, because most of the time it just doesn’t last!
Here are my top 5 summer beauty tips (other than a high SPF sunscreen!) to keep you looking fabulous all season long!
- Try a tinted moisturizer – Most people have never heard of or used a tinted moisturizer, but they have recently become my new favorite thing! On super hot and humid days when you have to run errands and know you’ll be sweating (or glistening!), you don’t want a full face of foundation since it will just melt right off. Tinted moisturizers often provide sheer coverage and are normally pretty forgiving as far as shades are concerned. Also, most tinted moisturizers contain SPF, so you won’t need to worry about applying sunscreen underneath your makeup! My favorite brands are my Laura Mercier and Philosophy.
- Drink lots of water – This might seem like a “duh!” tip, but I can’t stress the importance of this enough! If you don’t stay properly hydrated throughout the summer, your skin will suffer, and so will your beauty routine. Remember to take in 8 glasses of water a day at the least and even more if you spending a lot of time outdoors. If you drink enough water, your skin and lips will stay hydrated, making it easier for your makeup to stay on and keep your skin looking healthy!
- Keep powders to a minimum on your face – Yes, we want you skin to stay matte and looking flawless, but we don’t want you to look like a porcelain doll. Glowing, dewy skin is in, ladies! You can definitely use a setting powder for your makeup, but try out some blotting pads throughout the day if you have oily skin. They wick away the oil on your face without disrupting your makeup. They’re cheap and be found in any drug store.
- Use waterproof items - Keeping your makeup looking flawless (especially here in New England, where I live) requires a lot of waterproof beauty items. I would definitely suggest waterproof eyeliner and mascara at the very least. There is water in the air when it is humid, and this can contribute to your makeup melting away. Also, when you sweat, so does your makeup. If your makeup is waterproof, it will stay until your take it off with a cleanser!
- Don’t stress too much about your hair – Natural waves are in for the summer! Pin straight hair doesn’t look natural as most hair has a little bit of a natural wave to it. If you’re like me and have a head full of cowlicks, you can blow dry those areas if you need to. I know that most people’s hair (including mine) frizz up like crazy once they step out into the heat. Before your hair is dry, use a product like John Freida or another anti frizz serum and this should help battle the crazy hair! Also, a little hair spray can go a long way where frizz is concerned!
I hope these suggestions will help with your day to day beauty routines during the summer months! I know that I use all of these tips and they keep my face and hair stress free when it is too hot outside.
Do you have a beauty tip that you use during the summer? I would love to hear about it! Be sure to leave a comment and let me know your fool proof beauty tricks!